About Mathster Vakkas Productions
Mathster Vakkas is a math specialist that has been teaching elementary school mathematics since 1998. He creates research-based, student-centered, “real-life”, math video-clips, tutorials, interactive video read alouds, and lessons that promote constructivism, cognitive development, and 21st Century Skills.
His lessons are differentiated for all learners and will help children become better problem solvers.
Mathster also takes and creates math curriculum so that it is interactive (Smart board docs etc), and incorporates hands-on learning.
He is also a consultant to the Florida State Education Department, which highly values his lesson tutorials.
Mathster Vakkas was the winner of the 2011 PBS National Teachers® Innovation Award.http://www.pbs.org/teachers/innovators/gallery/2011/entries/742/. The contest entries were judged by the following criteria:
- innovation/ originality/creativity
- application of 21st century learning skills
- student engagement
- student learning
The Press Release http://www.wcny.org/news/press-releases/10136
- Mathster was recognized and honored in the Oswego Alumni, Spring 2012 Magazine for his math excellence.
- Mathster Vakkas presented at the AMTNYS.ORG (Association of Mathematics Teachers of New York State (AMTNYS) on October 28th, 2011.
- The Cortland Standard newspaper featured Mathster Vakkas Productions’ innovations on October 15th of 2010. The newspaper article: http://www.cortlandstandard.net/articles/10152010n.html
- State University of New York at Cortland PDS (Professional Development Schools) Coordinator, Karen Hempson interviewed Mathster Vakkas and presented the interview at the NAPDS (National Association of Professional Development Schools) Conference in March of 2010.
- Mathster Vakkas presented his innovative math strategies, and ideas at the State University of New York, at Cortland, to the Education Club, on November 9th, 2011.
- Mathster Vakkas conducted district and county-wide workshops to elementary school teachers to share math strategies, innovative ideas, and how to effectively use technology in the classroom.
- Mathster Vakkas won a CPEF (Cortland Public Education Foundation) grant to expand his “Mathster Vakkas Productions” initiatives.
- Mathster’s math initiatives were recognized with a standing ovation and an Excellence in Achievement Certificate during his October, 2010, District Board Office Presentation.
- Mathster Vakkas’s elementary school where he teaches, won the 2010 Blue Ribbon Award for Academic Achievement.
- Mathster taught two undergraduate math methods classes and one graduate math methods class (to pre-service teachers) at State University of New York at Cortland on March 24th, 2011.
- Mathster Vakkas conducted a “Be Aware! Math is Everywhere!” event at Borders book store in the Ithaca New York mall in November of 2010.
- Mathster is a member of the PDS (Professional Development Schools) Math Partnership with State University of New York at Cortland.
- Mathster Vakkas Productions uses 21st Century Skills for developing critical thinking and problem solving skills, analyzing information, and for curiosity and imagination.